A. Verb + in
believe IN ...
— Do you believe in God? (=do you believe that God exists?)
— I believe in saying what I think. (=I believe it is right to say what I think)
specialize IN ...
— Helen is a lawyer. She specializes in company law.
succeed IN ...
— I hope you succeed in finding the job you want.
B. Verb +into
break INTO ...
— Our house was broken into a few days ago but nothing was stolen.
crash/drive/bump/run INTO ...
— He lost control of the car and crashed into a wall.
divide/cut/split something INTO (two or more parts):
— The book is divided into three parts.
— Cut the meat into small pieces before frying it.
translate (a book etc.) FROM one language INTO another:
— George Orwell's books have been translated into many languages.
C. Verb + with
collide WITH ...
— There was an accident this morning. A bus collided with a car. (but 'crashed into')
fill something WITH.
— Take this saucepan and fill it with water.
provide/supply somebody WITH...
— The school provides all its students with books.
D. Verb + to
happen TO ...:
— What happened to that gold watch you used to have? (= where is it now?)
prefer one thing/person TO another:
— I prefer tea to coffee.
E. Verb + on
concentrate ON ...:
— Don't look out of the window. Concentrate on your work.
insist ON ...:
— I wanted to go alone but they insisted on coming with me.
spend (money) ON ...:
— How much money do you spend on food each week?
1 Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first.
1. There was a collision between a bus and a car. A bus collided _with a car._
2. I don't mind big cities but I prefer small towns.
I prefer ---.
3. I got all the information I needed from Jill.
Jill provided me ---.
4. This morning I bought a pair of shoes which cost -'60.
This morning I spent ---.
2 Complete the sentences using one of the following verbs (in the correct form) + the correct preposition:
believe concentrate divide drive fill happen insist succeed
1. I wanted to go alone but Sue _insisted on_ coming with me.
2. I haven't seen Harry for ages. I wonder what has --- him.
3. I was driving along when the car in front of me stopped suddenly. Unfortunately, I couldn't stop in time and --- the back of it.
4. It's a very large house. It's --- four flats.
5. I don't --- ghosts. I think people only imagine that they see them.
6. Steve gave me an empty bucket and told me to --- it --- water.
7. Don't try and do two things together --- one thing at a time.
8. It wasn't easy but in the end we --- finding a solution to the problem.
3 Put in the correct preposition.
1. The school provides all its students _with_ books.
2. A strange thing happened --- me a few days ago.
3. Mark decided to give up sport so that he could concentrate --- his studies.
4. I don't believe --- working very hard. It's not worth it.
5. My present job isn't wonderful, but I prefer it --- what I did before.
6. I hope you succeed --- getting what you want.
7. As I was coming out of the room, I collided --- somebody who was coming in.
8. There was an awful noise as the car crashed --- a tree.
9. Jim is a photographer. He specializes --- sports photography.
10. Do you spend much money --- clothes?
11. The country is divided --- six regions.
12. I prefer travelling by train --- driving. It's much more pleasant.
13. Somebody broke --- my car and stole the radio.
14. I felt quite cold but Peter insisted --- having the window open.
15. Some words are difficult to translate --- one language another.
16. What happened --- the money I lent you? What did you spend it?
17. The teacher decided to split the class --- four groups.
18. I filled the tank but unfortunately I filled it --- the wrong kind of petrol.
4 Use your own ideas to complete these sentences. Use a preposition.
1. I wanted to go out alone but my friend insisted _on coming with me._
2. I spend quite a lot of money ---.
3. I saw the accident. The car crashed ---.
4. Sarah prefers basketball ---.
5. Shakespeare's plays have been translated ---.
2 small towns to big cities.
3 with all the information I needed.
4 L60 on a pair of shoes.
2 happened to
3 drove into
4 divided into
5 believe in
6 fill it with
7 Concentrate on
8 succeeded in
15 from one language into another
16 happened to ... spend it on
4 Example answers:
2 on books.
3 into a wall.
4 to volleyball.
5 into many languages.